This position is responsible for managing the Production Clearances team within the Intellectual Property group and overseeing all clearances-related duties and processes at Paramount Pictures across all motion picture and television projects.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Researching and analyzing complex questions regarding a wide array of legal issues, such as copyright, trademark, privacy, right of publicity, and defamation, related to the development, production, marketing, and distribution of motion picture and television projects.
- Playing a central role, in conjunction with other members of the Intellectual Property group, in evaluating, implementing, and refining, as necessary, the Studio’s clearances-related policies, practices, and processes.
- Managing and overseeing a team of clearances professionals tasked with making clearance-related determinations with respect to all motion picture and television projects at the Studio. Team’s responsibilities include: (i) reviewing written and audio-visual material for clearance-related issues; (ii) evaluating investigative and research reports; (iii) coordinating third-party clearance requests; (iv) preparing and disseminating clearance indices and advertising/promotional restrictions memoranda, and providing guidance with respect thereto, to all relevant constituencies; and (v) serving as the primary clearances-related conduit to all film and television production teams.
- Advising Studio executives, filmmakers, and showrunners, among others, on issues related to production clearances across all stages of development, pre-production, production, post-production, marketing, publicity, and distribution.
- Working closely with members of other groups within the Legal department with respect to clearance-related matters, such as the Motion Picture, Marketing, Home Entertainment, Paramount Television, Themed Entertainment, and Corporate legal teams.
- Representing the Studio externally regarding clearances-related requests, negotiations, and agreements (e.g., with third-party rightsholders and/or their representatives).
- Communicating effectively with all levels of management and senior management within the Studio, and within Viacom more broadly, with respect to legal- and business-related risks, assessments, and determinations related to production clearances issues.
- In coordination with other members of the Studio’s Intellectual Property group, helping manage intellectual property-related legal claims and disputes, including coordinating factual research, developing legal positions and strategies, and working with outside counsel and across business units as necessary.