This position is responsible for handling complex intellectual property (IP) matters for Paramount Pictures.
Responsibilities to include, but not limited to:
- Supervise teams within Intellectual Property department regarding rights management and other production- and distribution-related matters.
- Research and analyze complex questions regarding development, production and/or distribution rights, as well as attendant contractual obligations regarding motion picture and television projects.
- Oversee the management and resolution of IP-related legal claims and litigations, including coordination of factual research, development of legal positions and strategy, preparation of discovery responses and collection of responsive documents, working with outside counsel and across business units as necessary.
- Provide advice with respect to motion picture and television clearance matters; support and help set policies for the Clearance Department.
- Supervise the drafting of memoranda and effectively communicate judgments and strategic advice to senior management in Creative and Business Affairs in a time-sensitive manner.
- Provide critical and time-sensitive chain of title analyses for motion picture and television projects, and as required, oversee the assembly and delivery of chain of title documentation to third parties.
- Research, negotiate and draft miscellaneous rights-related agreements involving re-acquisitions, terminations, quitclaim of materials, and archive-related functions, etc.
- Participate as member of team representing Paramount’s interests in connection with MPAA litigations, including amicus and other policy-related filings on sophisticated issues of copyright, trademark, right of publicity, and defamation.
- Provide IP-related advice and counsel to other Legal Department colleagues.
- Manage legal issues related to copyright registration, recordation, and preparation of certificates of origin for foreign distribution.